The Banff World Television Awards, often referred to as the “Olympics of Television” are pleased to announce this year’s award winners in the following categories.
· Sir Peter Ustinov Award for Comedy: Ricky Gervais
· Lifetime Achievement Award: William Shatner
· NBC Universal Canada Award of Distinction: Eric McCormack
BEST OF SHOW IN ALL FESTIVAL GENRES
· Best Drama: London River, 3B Productions in association with ARTE France, ARTE France – France
· Best Kids + Animation : Le Printemps de Melie/ Molly in Springtime, National Film Board of Canada in association with Folimage, PIWI, Divertissement Subsequence Inc – Canada
· Best Francophone: Aveux, Productions Pixcom inc., Radio-Canada – Canada
· Best Green Program: Bang Goes The Theory: The Human Power Station, Dragonfly Film and Television Productions, BBC – United Kingdom
· Best Canadian Program: 65 Red Roses Force Four Entertainment in association wtih CBC News Network, Knowledge CBC (The Passionate Eye) – Canada
· Best Entertainment: Bill Bailey’s Remarkable Guide to the Orchestra, Glassbox Productions, BBC – United Kingdom
· Best Documentary: Life, BBC in association with Discovery/SKAI/Open University, RTI Spa – BBC1 – United Kingdom
· Grand Jury Prize: London River, 3B Productions in association with ARTE France, ARTE France – France
GREEN GRAND PRIZE
Green Grand Prize: Louie Psihoyos, Oscar Winner and director of The Cove. The prize recognizes outstanding achievement in creating public awareness and understanding of environmental issues through the use of visual media. Psihoyos was selected as a result of nominations received from all around the world, honouring his tremendous impact on a global level. Dr. David Suzuki, president of the Banff Green Jury, presented the award to Mr. Psihoyos.
“Tonight’s award winners represent the best in television and film, and epitomize innovation, talent and dedication,” says Georges Leclere, executive producer of the Banff World Television Awards. “We’re delighted to celebrate and honour their outstanding achievements.”
The Banff World Television Awards celebrate the culmination of an extraordinary year for the renowned Banff Program Competition. With over 800 submissions and 200 nominees selected from over 65 judging centres throughout the world, it is one of the industry’s most prestigious events, recognizing the brightest and best in international television.
The Banff World Television Festival is the world’s premiere television content creation event and annual forum for business and creative opportunities for those in television and new media. For the first time, the festival will run concurrently with nextMEDIA Banff, bringing together the television and digital media communities for a truly unique cross-platform event, offering unprecedented networking, face-to-face meetings, keynote speeches and pitching opportunities that reflect the growing convergence of television and digital media.
For more information on the Banff World Television Festival and nextMEDIA, visit www.banff2010.com.