It was announced live on CTV tonight that JESSE and KIRSTEN would be leaving the SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE CANADA stage.
Host Leah Miller revealed the bottom three couples, who then had the chance to dance for their lives. After the judges deliberated, they revealed that JESSE Weafer, 25, a Contemporary dancer from Aurora, ON and KIRSTEN Wicklund, 20, a Contemporary Ballet dancer from Vancouver, BC would be leaving the competition. Fourteen dancers are now left in the running to be named Canada’s Favourite Dancer.
The bottom three couples who performed their solos for the country this week were AMANDA Cleghorn, 19, Mississauga, ON, and DENYS Drozdyuk, 25, Toronto, ON who danced an energetic House routine; CHARLENE Hart, 24, Abbotsford, BC, and JEFF Mortensen, 22, Edmonton, AB, who danced an acrobatic Jazz routine; plus eliminated couple JESSE and KIRSTEN who performed a passion-filled Rumba routine.
Kicking off the results show was a theatre routine created by Sergio Trujillo, the choreographer behind the smash-hit Broadway plays Jersey Boys and Memphis. With half the dancers costumed in zoot suits and flapper dresses, the other dancers went punk for a theatre hip-hop mash up routine. With impressive lifts and tricks, the dancers performed to “Sing Sing Sing Part 1,” a 81neutronz and Sergio Trujillo remix.
Currently averaging 1.11 million viewers per episode, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE CANADA moves to its new timeslot with Performance shows Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET and Results shows Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. ET on CTV.
Performing next week on Wednesday, Sept. 22 at 8 p.m. ET on CTV (go to ctv.ca to confirm local listings) in front of judge Jean Marc Genereux and Tré Armstrong as well as guest judges Mia Michaels and Sean Cheesman are:
1. Amanda Cleghorn, 19, a Contemporary dancer from Mississauga, ON
2. Charlene Hart, 24, a Contemporary Jazz dancer from Abbotsford, BC
3. CLAUDIA Primeau, 26, a Ballroom dancer from Montreal, QC
4. Danielle Gardner, 21, a Contemporary dancer from Surrey, BC
5. Denys Drozdyuk, 25, a Ballroom dancer from Toronto, ON
6. Edgar Gilbert-Reyes, 22, a Hip-Hop dancer from Calgary, AB
7. Janick Arseneau, 20, a Contemporary dancer from Bathurst, NB
8. Jeff Mortensen, 22, a Contemporary dancer from Edmonton, AB
9. Jonathan Arsenault, 26 Contemporary dancer from Kitchener, ON
10. Kloé Schultz, 20, a Lyrical-Jazz dancer from North Bay, ON
11. Mackenzie Green, 20, a Contemporary dancer from Regina, SK
12. Nathalie Heath, 23, a Contemporary dancer from Surrey, BC
13. Sebastian Mersch, 21, a Contemporary dancer from Toronto, ON
14. Shavar Blackwood, 25, a Hip-Hop dancer from Toronto, ON
Next week the Top 14 will take to the stage after working with returning choreographers Stacey Tookey, Melissa Williams, Sabrina Matthews, Gustavo Vargas and Danny Arbour, as well as judges Luther Brown and Blake McGrath.
An encore of the Top 16 Performance and Results episodes will air on MuchMusic Saturday, September 18 beginning at 5 p.m. ET (visit muchmusic.com to confirm local broadcast times), and highlights from the weekly SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE CANADA episodes, including performances, and behind-the-scenes interviews will be available on demand on the CTV Video Player at CTV.ca. For up-to-date information, visit the series’ official website, dance.ctv.ca which gets fans up close and personal with their favourite dancers, judges and choreographers through exclusive photo galleries and blogs, while also providing news, episode recaps, a music guide, quizzes, forums and more.